I had this recipe sitting on my counter for almost two weeks. I kept saying, “Tomorrow, I am making scones!” I had never made scones so I was a little nervous although I have no idea why, as baking comes naturally to me. My original intention with this recipe was to use lemon essential oil in place of the actual lemons. Then I realized I was out! UGH! I wanted to use the oils because not only is it more concentrated, there is less waste. One drop of lemon essential oil is equal to the juice from five whole lemons! Not to mention, the host of additional health benefits and household uses. Make sure the oils you use are therapeutic grade organic oils!
This recipe if from Diane Sanfilippo’s BalancedBites website. She is the creator of the 21 Day Sugar Detox that I participated in about 6 months ago. She has a lot of great recipes and tips to eliminate sugar cravings!
PREP TIME: 15 min
COOKING TIME: 25 min
YIELD: 10 scones (10 servings)
NUTRITION INFO: click here (PDF)
- 3 eggs
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from ~ 1 -1/2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, thoroughly combine the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and honey.
- Sift in the remaining ingredients, except the blueberries, and mix for about 2 minutes or until the batter is well combined and forms a loose, very wet dough. If the batter is still too loose to somewhat hold its shape, let it sit for 5 more minutes.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until they are evenly dispersed through the mixture.
- Using 1/4 cup of batter for each scone, gently roll each scone into a loose ball and put on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press down the top of each scone to flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. (mine only took about 22 minutes so watch them!)