Hello, my name is Jenn and I have a quinoa addiction. Whew! Glad that is out because now I can share this amazing recipe with you 🙂
Aside from the ease of preparation and the variety of recipes, quinoa is packed with health benefits!
We have made this dish several times and each time we wish there was more in the pan! It is a great dish for company because it makes generous portions. Serve with a green salad and you have a complete meal!
I am not a vegan so I use real cheese. Cutting the zucchini is easiest with a mandolin. Otherwise, you get uneven slices.
Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna (adapted from Peas and Thank You)
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 12 thin, 1/4 in. thick slices
- 1 c. quinoa, rinsed
- 2 c. vegetable broth (I use fat-free, low sodium chicken broth)
- 1/2 c. tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. minced onion
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T. organic or non-dairy cream cheese (I use low fat cream cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce
- 1/2 c. organic or non-dairy cheese (I use regular low fat mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- To prepare zucchini, cut a strip off of one side to make a flat base. Then, thinly slice zucchini into “noodles.” You’ll want 12 noodles in total.
- Place noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt, layering between paper towels.
- Let this sit and absorb moisture while preparing the quinoa.
- Combine quinoa, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, onion and oregano in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat, simmering for 20 minutes.
- When quinoa has absorbed all the liquid, fold in cream cheese and herbs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and try not to eat the whole pot.
- Pour enough of marinara in the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish to cover the bottom.
- Using a clean dry towel, blot remaining moisture and salt from zucchini and layer 4 noodles across the sauce.
- Put a layer of quinoa across the zucchini, and cover with another 1/3 c. of marinara sauce.
- Repeat with another layer of quinoa, sauce and zucchini.
- Top the final layer of zucchini with remaining sauce and 1/2 c. of cheese, if using.
- Bake lasagna for 30 minutes, until heated through and zucchini is tender.
For additional quinoa recipes, check out this link http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/ways-to-eat-quinoa-and-succeed-in-life