I stared at this recipe for about a week before I got to it and never actually read all the ingredients. I find myself starting recipes without reading through them all the way quite a bit lately…I must get that from my mother :). I did not have any sour cream since we still have not jumped back into eating a lot of dairy, so I topped the potatoes with diced avocado instead. I also substituted shredded low fat Mozzarella for the Manchego. I recommend using the Manchego; the smokiness will provide more flavor to the dish. I plan on making these again the correct way so I can get the full experience! However, even with the substitutions it is a terrific recipe and super easy! Enjoy!
Total time: 50 mins
Loaded sweet potato boats with black beans, manchego cheese, salsa, onion and simple avocado crema.
- 5 small sweet potatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ~1/4 cup grated Manchego or other Mexican cheese (such as Cotija or Pepperjack)
- Avocado crema (1/4 cup light sour cream, 1/2 ripe avocado & lime juice)
- Fresh Salsa, Cilantro and Green Onion for topping and dipping.
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 400 degree oven directly on the baking rack for 40-45 minutes or until tender to the touch.
- In the meantime, make avocado crema by mixing 1/2 a ripe avocado, 1/4 cup light sour cream and a bit of lime juice until creamy and smooth. Refrigerate until potato boats are ready to serve.
- Remove from oven to cool to the touch, but leave oven on.
- Carefully cut sweet potatoes in half and scoop out insides to make “boats.” Leave ~ 1/4 – 1/2 inch of flesh so they don’t become too fragile and difficult to handle.
- Reserve leftover sweet potato for sweet potato almond butter muffins, or another recipe of your choice.
- Place sweet potato boats face up on a baking sheet and fill with black beans and top evenly with grated cheese.
- Pop back in oven to warm through and remove when cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and arrange on a serving platter. Top with salsa, avocado crema, chopped green onion and fresh cilantro. Additional toppings might include guacamole, hot sauce and lettuce.
- Will reheat well the next day or two in the microwave or oven.