I did not cook much this week. We made a huge batch of soup earlier in the week and just finished it today. I love vegetable soup because anything goes! You can make it chunky (or not) and you can add all the veggies you have left in the refrigerator and it all blends well together. My husband has a base he uses that is always a great hit. Enjoy!
Brian’s Vegetable Soup
Ingredients (you can use any variety of vegetables)
- 1 tsp olive oil (to saute’ the onions and garlic)
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of carrots (sliced or diced)
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can kidney beans (you can use dried for lower sodium but make sure you cook them before you add them)
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
In a large stock pot or dutch oven, saute’ the garlic and onions in the olive oil until clear. Add all of the liquid to the pot. Last, add all of the veggies and let simmer on medium-low for 2-3 hours. The liquid amount is really your preference. I prefer a chunkier soup and my husband likes it, well, more soupy!
Serve with your favorite crusty bread, over rice, over mashed potatoes or by itself! We ate it with cheese tortellini last night and it was very good!