This recipe was originally from Forks over Knives. If you have not watched this documentary, you are missing out! The film shows how most degenerative diseases can be prevented and cured by eating a plant-based, whole food diet.
I have had a bag of lentils in my cupboard for weeks so I finally decided it was time to cook the and this recipe was perfect! I cut the recipe in half (my measurements are in parenthesis) with the exception of the lentils. I also used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth because that was what I had handy. This recipe could be cooked in a slow cooker or stove top. I cooked mine in my dutch oven on the stove.
For more information on the health benefits of lentil beans, check out this article from Mind Body Green.
• 2 small onions, finely chopped (1 onion)
• 2 carrots, finely chopped (3 carrots)
• 6 small white potatoes, finely chopped (3 potatoes)
• 1 16-ounce bag brown lentils
• 1 15.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, diced (1 cup marinara sauce + 1 can tomato paste)
• 8 cups vegetable broth or water (5 cups chicken broth)
• 1-2 cups finely chopped spinach
• salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, except the spinach, and cook on low for 2 hours. Add the spinach about 5 minutes before the soup is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Info (Based on my recipe)
Serves 12 (1 cup per serving)