I LOVE FALL! With the Fall comes pumpkin-flavored EVERYTHING! I am so excited!
It has been awhile since I have baked anything so to get back in the mood, I started with a recipe from one of my favorite sites. Chocolate Covered Katie has delicious recipes that will satisfy any sweet tooth. I hope you enjoy these bars as much as we have (and still are). These bars will be a hit at any get-together you attend this Fall! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups spelt or white flour (180g) (Oat flour works; the texture is just a bit denser.)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (20g)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or date sugar (90g)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup chocolate chips, depending on how chocolatey you want the bars
- 1/2 cup vegetable or melted coconut oil (80g)
- 1/2 cup canned or pureed pumpkin or sweet potato (120g)
- 2 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (10g)
- pinch uncut stevia, or 1 tbsp sugar of choice
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey (If strict vegan, don’t use honey.) (45g)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line the bottom of an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the first 7 ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk all remaining ingredients. Pour wet over dry, and stir to form a batter. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. They will still look undercooked when you take them out, but this is okay. They continue to cook as they cool. Let cool for 20 minutes, and if they’re not firm enough yet, refrigerate overnight. They will firm up nicely! Makes 15-24 squares, depending on how large you cut them.