Yesterday was rough! After a horrible night’s sleep, I was feeling run-down most of the day. Then all the sudden, this morning I woke up to go to the gym and felt like a new person! My workout was amazing and I have not needed a nap all day. I might be past the hard part of this detox.
I pulled a bunch of recipes from the 21DSD website before I started this adventure and I made one of them for lunch. I used boneless, skinless breasts but I will use thighs next time. I think the dark meat will really accentuate the flavor of the other ingredients.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-35 minutes
YIELD: 3 servings
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (or other cut, cooking time will vary)
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder or fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds (omit for autoimmune friendly)
- 1-2 pinches chili flakes (*omit for nightshade-free/autoimmune friendly)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (available at most Whole Foods Markets or local organic grocers/co-ops for around $5-7/bottle)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In an oven safe cast iron or stainless steel skillet, melt the ghee, then season both sides of the chicken with sea salt and black pepper, and place skin side down into the pan for 5-6 minutes or until the skin browns and releases easily from the pan.
- While the chicken cooks, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, chili flakes, coconut aminos and more sea salt and black pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Flip the chicken thighs over so that they are now skin side up in the pan, then pour the sauce mixture over the chicken evenly and place the pan into the oven for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.