I know some of you have had a rough Winter and are looking forward to some warmer weather! A friend posted photos of more snow up in the northeast this morning so I imagine they have a little longer to wait. Here in Florida, we are already in the high 80’s. Before you get too upset with me, remember that the upper 80’s in central Florida is a tad more unbearable than it is up north as we have that beloved humidity. Spring has definitely sprung here and we have a layer of yellow on everything to prove it! Not to mention the stuffy nose, sneezing and watery eyes 🙂 I digress…Spring is more than pollen and heat! It is also about making the switch to lighter fare to get ready for beach season. With that said, let me get to my recipe for today. This gem comes from our friends at SkinnyTaste.com.
I had some chicken thighs in the fridge that needed to be cooked, so this recipe was the perfect solution! I know some of you may balk at the thought of dark meat and I used to be right there with you. However, I found boneless skinless thighs at BJ’s from Harvestland. I love their products because they contain no hormones or antibiotics and they are reasonably priced. While the thigh meat is a little higher in fat than breast meat, it also has much more flavor and stays moist when cooking which makes it perfect for grilling!
A couple of notes regarding this dish:
- When choosing a balsamic vinegar, don’t skimp! We use one from Key West Olive Oil Company. It is aged 20 years and it is sweet and thick. We eat it alone on salad instead of dressing. The flavor is wonderful!
- My husband will not eat asparagus so I substituted brussel sprouts, portobello mushrooms and cauliflower. I also used mini-peppers because that was what I had on hand. Any veggies will do since you are roasting.
- The recipe tells you to keep the veggies and chicken separate. I cannot stress that enough! Also, make sure your chicken is dry, otherwise you will end up with steamed chicken instead of roasted. I recommend using two baking sheets; one for the chicken and one for the vegetables.
- We did not have any sides with this dish although it would be good with mashed potatoes or rice.
Balsamic Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Gina’s Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 5 • Size: 2 thighs plus vegetables • Old Points: 8 pts • Points+: 9 pts
Calories: 347.1 • Fat: 17.0g • Protein: 31.1 g • Carb: 19.2 g • Fiber: 5.8 g
- 10 (20 oz) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 20 medium asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 cup carrots, sliced in half long way
- 2 red onions, chopped in large chunks
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and sliced
- 2 tbsp oregano or thyme
- 4 leaves fresh sage, chopped
Preheat oven to 425°. Wash and dry the chicken well with a paper towel. Combine all the ingredients together and using your hands and arrange in a very large roasting pan. The vegetables should not touch the chicken or it will steam instead of roast. All ingredients should be spread out in a single layer. If necessary use two baking sheets or disposable tins to achieve this. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.