Spaghetti squash is a staple in this house. I love that you can serve it with anything that you would normally serve pasta thus eliminating the carbohydrates. I do enjoy a hearty bowl of pasta every now and then but mostly I am good without it! This dish is so easy I am almost embarrassed to use it for my post but I figure everyone can use an easy meal option from time to time!
We love Italian food but unfortunately most of it is laden with calories. I threw this dish together one night and it has become a regular menu item. You can add different vegetables like spinach, broccoli or carrots to the sauce with the chicken. Either way, I am certain the whole family will be happy!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan Over Spaghetti Squash
Serves 4 (recipe can be adjusted for any number of guests)
- 1 medium ripe spaghetti squash
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (or make your own from scratch)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese*
*Chicken thighs can also be used but make sure they are boneless/skinless.
*Do not use the Parmesan cheese found in the grocery isles. Make sure it is refrigerated.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half using a very sharp, large knife.
- Scrape out the seeds using a spoon careful not to remove too much of the middle.
- In a deep baking dish, add about an inch of water and place the spaghetti squash face up.
- Brush the squash with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a medium – large skillet with a lid and add the chicken. (make sure the pan is large enough for all the chicken)
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top of the chicken careful not to overflow.
- Cook the chicken on medium-medium low for about 30-40 minutes or until cooked through. There should be no pink in the middle. Use a meat thermometer if necessary.
- Once squash is finished cooking, carefully pull it out of the oven and remove it from the dish onto a large cutting board. It will be tender so use caution not to smash it.
- Allow the squash to cool to a temperature at which you can handle it easily.
- Scrape the flesh of the squash into a large serving bowl and sprinkle with 2-3 tbsp of the Parmesan cheese. Cover and set aside.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, uncover and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Serve the chicken over the spaghetti squash and ladle with the remaining sauce and enjoy!